You’ve heard me say it before and I’m going to continue to say. I’m not a beer connoisseur and I don’t want to be. I’m a beer enthusiast. What’s the difference? Turning to our handy dictionary, a connoisseur is one who understands the details, technique, or principles of an art and one who enjoys with discrimination and appreciation of subtleties. That takes years of studying, learning, and hard work to really find that type of appreciation and discipline towards a subject.
That’s not me. I’m a beer enthusiast. Using our same dictionary companion, an enthusiast is a person who is filled with enthusiasm for some principle or pursuit! Now that’s what I’m talking about! I love beer, I’m enthusiastic about it, and it’s something I enjoy. Beer isn’t the type of thing I like to study every single minor style difference in and pucker my lips until I can detect every last flavor that BeerAdvocate tells me is in there. I enjoy being an enthusiast and if you do too, we should be friends.
Although, I don’t want to sound like a complete heathen that chugs any beer in reaching distance. There’s also something extremely enjoyable about learning something about the beer you’re drinking. I’ve had little Ah-ha! moments in the last couple years I’ve been drinking beer and some things that have really opened my eyes and enhanced my experience. And I’d like to share some of those things with you.
Enter, the BEER Courses. Also known as the Beer Enthusiast Education and Research Courses. Here you will find an ever evolving list of different things relating to beer that I’ve learned and found interesting through the years. These are here to help other people like myself learn a little bit more about beer and help create more enjoyment around drinking beer. This list will be continually growing as we create more content, and if there is anything else you’d like to know or would like to see us cover, please let us know!
Planned BEER Courses
- What do beer connoisseurs mean when they reference this flavor?
- How to tell if your beer is skunky or that’s just how it’s supposed to taste.
- Should I pour my beer into a glass or just drink it from the can/bottle?
- Why do some beers have their own glasses and why are they shaped so weird?
- What are beer tasters doing when they taste a beer?
- 5 minute overview of how a beer is brewed.
- What’s with all the acronyms? ABV? IBU? NEIPA?
- What should you order when you walk into a brewery or craft beer bar?